20 March 2023 – 31 MAY 2023
Terms & Conditions
The terms and conditions set out below ("Terms and Conditions") apply to the Crack the Code Easter Promotion ("Promotion") being run and administered by the Castrol division of bp Southern Africa (Pty) Ltd with its registered address at 199 Oxford Road, Oxford Parks, Dunkeld, 2196 (“Castrol” or "Promoter" or "us" or "we").
These Terms and Conditions will prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications sent to you by us, including advertising or promotional materials.
Prize redemption instructions are deemed to form part of the Terms and Conditions. By entering this Promotion, you are deemed to be a participant (“hereinafter referred to as “you” or “participant”) and all participants will be deemed to have accepted and shall be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
This version of the Terms and Conditions applies to participants in South Africa.
1. Important Provisions
We have a duty, in terms of the Consumer Protection Act, No. 68 of 2008 to point out certain important provisions in these Terms and Conditions to you. The clauses which contain these important provisions and the reasons why they are important are set out below. It is important that you read all of these Terms and Conditions carefully and not only what we point out below.
1.1. Limitation of risk, legal responsibilities and liability. Clauses 9, 11, 14 and 15 herein below are important because they limit and exclude obligations, liabilities and legal responsibilities that we and other persons or entities may otherwise have to you. As a result of these clauses, your rights and remedies against us and these other persons and entities are limited or excluded. These clauses also limit or exclude your right to recover from or make claims against, the Promoter for losses, damages, liability or harm you or others may suffer as a result of your participation in the Promotion. Clauses 11 and 15 herein below are particularly important because you take on risk, legal responsibilities and liability. In terms of these clauses, you may be responsible for taxes, fees, claims and other amounts. You will also be responsible for, and you accept, various risks, damages, harm, and injury which may be suffered by you and others for what is stated in these clauses.
1.2. Indemnities by you. Clause 11 herein below requires you to indemnify (hold harmless) us and other persons or entities against claims, loss, damages, and harm that may be suffered by us and other persons or entities as a result of your participation in the Promotion. This places various risks, liabilities, obligations and legal responsibilities on you, and you will be responsible and liable for the payment of the value of the claims, loss, damages, and harm that may be suffered or claimed.
2. The Promotion is only valid in South Africa and is open only to a natural person, who: i) is a legal resident in South Africa as either (a) a South African citizen; (b) a South African permanent resident; or (c) a student or professional in possession of a valid South African permit; and (ii) is at least 18 (eighteen) years old.
3. The Promotion is not open to the Promoter, including its employees' agencies, sales agents/ merchandisers, packaging suppliers and their immediate family members (spouses, life partners, parents, grandparents, siblings, children and grandchildren) or to their business partners, or any person who is (i) a director, member, partner, or agent of, or consultant to the Promoter or any other person who directly or indirectly controls or is controlled by the Promoter; or (ii) a supplier of goods or services in connection with the Promoter. The Promotion is not open to employees and their immediate families of the Promoter.
4. Participation in the promotion constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions. All information relating to this Promotion and published on any promotional material will form part of the terms and conditions of entry. The Promoter reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions in its sole discretion at any time and the amendments will be deemed to have taken effect on the date of publication of the revised Terms and Conditions on the Promoter’s website at www.castrol.com/en_za/south-africa.
5. The promotion will run from 20 March 2023 at 00h00 and end on 31 May 2023 at 23h59 (“the Promotion Period”). No entries received before or after the Promotion Period will be accepted.
6. Participants wishing to participate in the Promotion must:
6.1. purchase during the Promotion Period, from any participating retailer in South Africa, 5 Litres of any one of Castrol EDGE, Castrol MAGNATEC or Castrol GTX 15w40, in a single payment transaction, identifiable on a till slip. Participants will have to submit a copy and retain the original valid proof of purchase;
6.2. use the USSD code *120*0133# or scan the QR code located in-store and on the promotional leaflet, or go to www.castrol.com/en_za/south-africa and follow the prompts to complete a once-off registration, enter their cell phone number and submit a picture of their valid unique till slip; and
6.3. complete a new purchase within the values defined in clause 6.1 and follow the process in this clause 6, for each new entry submitted on the platform.
6.4. enter the cell phone number that is owned and registered to that participant. No other person can use another person’s cell phone or cell phone number for the entry into the Promotion. If it is discovered that a participant has entered a cell phone number that is not registered to that participant, he/she will automatically be disqualified and will be required to refund to the Promoter any prize(s) that such participant may have received from the Promoter.
6.5. not enter the promotion using more than one cell phone number. This is to avoid additional fraud being conducted by multiple SIM card owners.
6.6. enter using a phone number that is contactable during office hours (i.e. 08h00 to 17h00, Monday to Friday, excluding Public Holidays).
7. By participating in the Promotion and following the steps set out in clause 6, you stand a chance to win a share of R 500 000.00 (Five Hundred Thousand Rands in prizes, consisting of:
7.1.1 of 50 Two minutes trolley dashes up to a value of R3000.00 each at a participating retailer.
7.2. 1 of 300 bp Fuel vouchers valued at R 1000.00 each;
7.3. 1 of 300 Pick n Pay vouchers valued at R 500.00 each; or
7.4. 1 of 1000 Airtime vouchers valued from R 20.00 - R 60.00 each.
8. The following shall apply to the Promotion and the prizes:
8.1. Winners are selected via a computerised random draw via our website management page with a total of 1650 winners being selected.
8.2. Potential winners will be selected by means of a random computerized competition service, and the potential winner will be notified via SMS, once their till slip has been verified. The results of each draw being capable of being audited at any time to verify its randomness and accuracy
8.3. The first draw will take place on 31 March 2023, and the final draw will take place no later than 02 June 2023.
8.4. Potential winners will be sent an SMS containing a link to an online winner verification, and they are required to complete the form within 24 hours of issue, for final verification, before they can be confirmed as a winner. Any potential winner who fails to complete the form within 24 hours, will forfeit their chance and will be replaced by a potential standby winner. This is to ensure that prizes are awarded timeously.
8.5. A potential prize winner is not an actual Winner, until his/her status as a participant is confirmed, his/her entry submission is validated and his/her qualifying documents (including proof of the purchase, ID number, Delivery address, Email, Name and Surname) are completed and submitted to the Promoter within the time period required by the Promoter as stipulated in clause 8.4.
8.6. Upon submission of their verification form, potential winners will be validated and will receive an SMS within 72 hours, confirming if they are verified or have forfeited, with the SMS sent to the cell phone number used during entry to the competition.
8.7. In relation to the Promotion and entries received during the Promotion Period: i) a unique cell phone number may only win once; ii) a unique user may only win once; iii) only one person per family may win; iv) only one person per fixed abode or household may win; and v) a unique till slip may only be used once for entry.
8.8. Winner(s) to note that complete prize fulfilment can take up to 60 days from the date that the verification process has been successfully completed in terms of clause 8.5.
8.9. The Prize represented by images in any artwork is for presentation purposes only and the appearance of the actual prize may immaterially differ from that of the image shown in the artwork.8.10. Prizes cannot be redeemed for cash in part or whole and are non-refundable, non-transferable and non-exchangeable and the Promoter reserves the right to substitute any prize with another reward of similar or equal value.8.11. Winners of a trolley dash prize are entitled to purchase only 1 (one) of any product during the dash. The following products are excluded from the trolley dash: meat, alcohol of any kind, electrical appliances, gas, sim cards, cigarettes and home improvement products.
9. No responsibility will be accepted by the Promoter, its associated companies (its directors, officers and employees), agents and suppliers, for any prizes which are lost, delayed, corrupted, damaged, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be redeemed for any technical reason, delivery or other reasons.
10. All winners will be required to produce proof of identity during the validation process and upon receipt of their prizes. Failure to do so will result in a forfeit. Winners may not change their details, address, or personal information once it has been submitted and prior to receiving the prize. Any attempt to do so will result in a forfeit.
11. As far as the law allows, all participants indemnify the promoter and its associated companies (directors, officers and employees) agents and suppliers, against any / all claims for any loss or damages, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise, arising from any cause whatsoever connected to or arising from their participation in any way in this Promotion and/or any receipt of and/or use of a prize.
12. By taking part in this Promotion, participants hereby warrant that all information submitted to the Promoter is true, current and complete.
13. The Promoter may decline to award a prize if there is a reasonable suspicion of any irregularities or fraudulent activities.
14. As far as the law allows, all warranties and representations concerning the Promotion not set out in these Terms and Conditions (whether express, implied or tacit) are hereby excluded.
15. As far as the law allows, the Promoter shall only be responsible for those costs which these Terms and Conditions expressly say that the Promoter will pay. The participant is responsible for (i) any and all applicable local taxes and fees; and (ii) all other costs incurred by it, or arising directly or indirectly from, the participant's participation in the Promotion, or from the acceptance, receipt, use or enjoyment of any Prize. Without limiting the rest of this clause 15, the participant will be responsible for the cost of submitting proof of purchase and entering the promotion and any data charges that apply, as per the tariff rates charged by the participant’s mobile network provider.
16. The Promoter reserves the right to terminate the Promotion immediately and without notice, if circumstances beyond its reasonable control prevent the Promoter, its associated companies (directors, officers and employees) agents and suppliers, from continuing to conduct the Promotion. In the event of such termination, as far as the law allows, all Participants acknowledge that they will have no recourse against the Promoter, its associated companies (directors, officers and employees) agents and suppliers, in respect thereof.
17. As far as the law allows the Promoter, its associated companies (directors, officers and employees) agents and suppliers, shall not be responsible for a participant's failure to access the Promotion for any reason whatsoever including, by way of example only, as a consequence of communications or network failures.
18. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of South Africa.
19. If any provision of these Terms and Conditions is found to be invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, then that provision shall be severed from these Terms and Conditions and shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any remaining provisions.
20. The Promoter's decision is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
21. By entering the Promotion you give your consent to receive various marketing and promotional material from the Promoter. The participant will be provided with an opportunity to “Opt Out” of receiving such communications, which may be via the relevant medium that such marketing communication is received.
22. The Promoter may request that winners consent in writing to their name, image and likeness being used and published by the Promoter in connection with this Promotion for a period of 12 (twelve) months after they are announced as winners. Winners may decline the use of their name, likeness and image by the Promoter.
24. If you require any help or have any enquiries in respect of the Promotion, please use the email address: RDK Customer Services: email@example.com.